Updated: Jul 22
This is a vegan variety of the Greek classic Spanakopita.
Johnathan Simos from Greek Triangles joins Heather for his plant-based Greek Spanakopita. It is a delicious vegan twist on this classic.
Click HERE to View the Full Episode.
4 yellow onions - chopped
1/4 cup dill - chopped
1/2 cup leeks - chopped
Large (family size) frozen bag of spinach
#10 phyllo dough (We used Kontos brand)
Pepper to taste - while browning
A pinch of salt
1. Heat the pan and drizzle a little olive oil on the bottom.
2. Add the onion, dill, and leeks.
3. Continue to stir until cooked, stirring regularly. Add oil only when necessary.
4. Add the spinach (thawed from frozen)...don’t forget to squeeze out the moisture ;-)
5. After taking the mixture off the stove, let it cool on a pan.
6. You’ll then take the phyllo dough (#10), cut about an inch off the length. Cut all the way down the middle and stack on top of each other.
7. Take one piece, brush a little bit of olive oil (just enough to make it stick)
8. Place one more layer and repeat twice so you have three total layers.
9. Scoop about a cup-ish of the mixture on the corner of the dough and fold to make a triangle.
10. Repeat the folding as shown on the video and place the final aside.
11. Before baking, brush only the top with olive oil.
Bake at 365 for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.